Only spaces highlighted in red in gardens I, II, V, VIII, IX, and X can be used (all other gardens are private).
Any individual affiliated with UVa (current student, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, or his or her immediate family members) may reserve the Gardens listed above for a private social event up to one year in advance of the event date. CIOs, FOAs, Special Status Groups and University Departments may also reserve these Gardens. External/non-UVa affiliated individuals may not reserve Gardens at this time.
The Event Planning Office does NOT provide any tables or chairs for events in the Gardens. Events in the Gardens that require tables and chairs should acquire these resources through external organizations.
There is no rental fee for the Gardens listed above. Please note that these gardens are the lower gardens behind each pavilion. The upper garden is reserved for the pavilion resident at all times.
Garden VII may be reserved through the Colonade Club. Gardens IV and VI are private and cannot be reserved at this time.
Only the Lower Gardens are available for reservation.
The Gardens reserved through Newcomb Event Planning are available for reservation between 10:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. or until dusk, whichever comes first. All setup and cleanup must take place within the reservation time.
There are no restroom facilities in the Gardens. The closest restroom facilities are located in the Rotunda (open 9:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on weekdays) and Old Cabell Hall.
Electrical outlets are not available for public use in the Gardens.
We encourage you to consider reserving a rain site or rain date, as tents cannot be used in the Gardens.
Food may be provided by the requester or through the private caterer. Events sponsored by student organizations must comply with the University Policy on Food Service Provided by Student Organizations.
For events which involve alcohol, attendance must be limited to organization members/individual sponsor and their invited guests. Any and all events which involve alcohol must be approved by the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. (See below for more details.)
- Garden I: 200 people max
- Garden II: 200 people max
- Garden V: 200 people max
- Garden VIII*: 300 people max
- Garden IX: 300 people max
- Garden X**: 50 people max
*Pavilion VIII does not have a wall between the private terrace and the garden so please note that the terrace is private at all times.
**Pavilion X has three tiers and the lowest tier is the only space available for use. The middle and upper tiers are private.
Request one of the above gardens.
The even-numbered gardens are located on the east side of the Lawn and the odd-numbered gardens are located on the west side of the Lawn.
Regulations and Guidelines for the Pavilion Gardens
The following guidelines apply for all use of the Gardens:
- Reservations shall be for the “lower” garden only and not the upper garden adjacent to the Pavilion (except in Garden V which is not divided by shrubs or a wall).
- The activity may not begin before 10:00AM and must end no later than dusk or 8:00PM (whichever occurs earlier). Set up and breakdown shall occur within the time the reservation is made; set up and breakdown shall occur immediately prior to and following the event unless special arrangements are approved. Tables, chairs, and other equipment shall not be left in the Gardens overnight.
- Activities shall be confined to the Garden paths and grassy areas only. There shall be no intrusion into mulch areas or beds, nor sitting or climbing on the Garden walls. Tables, chairs, and other equipment shall not be placed in mulch areas or beds.
- The following are not permitted in the Gardens: amplified sound, lights, grills, and tents.
- Ice and trash shall be removed from the Gardens immediately following the event. Ice shall not be dumped in any area of the Garden. All trash must be placed in the nearest dumpster or trash receptacle.
- For events which involve alcohol, attendance must be limited to organization members and their invited guests. Any and all events which involve alcohol must be approved by the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. The alcohol service approval form is available in the Newcomb Hall Reservations Office. BYOB events and kegs are NOT permitted in the Gardens. The sponsoring individual may bring in alcohol for the entire function, if approved to do so by the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs or the Office of the President. Request use of alcoholic beverages.
- No restrooms or telephones are available for public use in the Gardens. Electricity is unavailable in the gardens.
- No parking is provided or permitted by virtue of the Garden reservation. Questions regarding alternate parking arrangements should be directed to the Department of Parking and Transportation at 924-7231.
- The sponsor shall be responsible for any and all costs to repair any area(s) of the Garden damaged by the sponsor or guests’ negligence or failure to follow University guidelines for use of outdoor areas.
- GARDEN VIII ADDENDUM: Only the grassy areas of the garden are available for use. The reservation is for the Garden only, not Pavillion VIII. The terrace and its furniture are private and may not be used for Garden events. No electrical outlets, restrooms, or telephones are available for public use. The nearest restroom facilities are located in Old Cabell Hall.