Starting in September 2023, the McIntire Amphitheatre will be undergoing a roof and exterior restoration. During the restoration process, portions of the stage and/or field may still be used by groups. Please contact the Event Management Office if you have any questions regarding the use of the facility for your events.
The McIntire Amphitheatre is located on McCormick Road on Central Grounds. It is also adjacent to South Lawn.
The Amphitheatre is open to the public daily and is not able to be fully closed for events unless provided explicit approval by the University. Events may take place between the hours of 10am and 10pm.
Setups and AV
Event organizers are responsible for setting up the space for their event and returning it to the way they found it prior to leaving. AV and event furniture is not available through Event Management in this location. Event organizers may contract with event rental companies, Facilities Management, or bring their own equipment so long as it complies with University policies around fire safety and egress.
There is no parking at the Amphitheatre. Use the service drive between Bryan Hall and the Amphitheatre (accessed off of Amphitheatre Way) for immediate loading and unloading only. If parking vehicles after loading/unloading, event organizers and their guests must utilize standard employee/student lots with appropriate parking permit and/or guest lots paying any fees required to Parking and Transportation. Cars parked in loading/unloading areas are subject to ticketing and tow at the owner’s expense.
- Large grass lawn space with tiers for seating and an 82’x23’ stage. The space can accommodate events and programs for up to 2,500 people.
- ADA access is available - contact Event Management to arrange.
- The Amphitheatre does not have restrooms/water fountains - the closest public restrooms are located inside New Cabel Hall.
Available Setups & Capacities
- Total Empty Capacity: 2,500
- Electricity is available at the stage location
- Stage with wings and backstage area
Available Audio-Visual Equipment (must request in EMS)
Space Specific Policies
- All equipment must be brought into this location by the event organizer. There are no tables, chairs, or AV available.
- Sidewalks and gravel paths are not to be obstructed – these serve as means of egress in case of emergency.
- Amplified sound requires prior approval – utilize this form to request
- Events which will approach or could potentially exceed capacity must directly work with Event Management to develop a plan for security, logistics, and safety.
- No restrictions on catering