Newcomb Hall, the hub of student life at UVA, is home to many University Departments, student organization offices, dining options, student services, meeting rooms, and major event spaces. From swinging in for lunch to watching a headlining comedian in the Ballroom, there is always something to do in Newcomb.
PO Box 400701
Charlottesville, VA 22904-4701
Monday - Saturday: 7 am - Midnight
Sunday: 8 am - Midnight
Newcomb Hall opened in 1958 and was named in honor of the University’s second president, John Lloyd Newcomb (1881-1954). President Newcomb was known first and foremost as an educator who was vitally interested in students throughout his career at the University. He arrived as a graduate student in Civil Engineering and later served as a Professor and then Dean of Engineering. He subsequently assumed the post of Assistant to the President, Acting President, and eventually President of the University from 1931 to 1947.
The opening of Newcomb Hall marked the dedication of University space to provide both a community gathering place and a center for student activities. Over the years, Newcomb has continuously evolved and reinvented itself to meet the needs of a dynamic University Community. Yet, even as the physical layout and amenities of the building continue to change, the purpose and objectives of the building remain consistent with the original vision.
Two major renovations of Newcomb Hall were completed in 1997 and 2013. The 2008-2013 renovation included an expansion of dining facilities, refurbishment of the Newcomb Theater, and various upgrades to meeting rooms, the first floor concourse, ballroom, main lounge, and game room. The most recent renovation and refurbishment efforts focused on providing more space for social engagement and collaboration among University students, faculty, and staff.