South Lawn/Homer Flat
The South Lawn, otherwise known as Homer Flat, is located in front of Old Cabell Hall on Central Grounds. It is on the opposite side of the Lawn of the Rotunda.
The South Lawn is open to the public daily and is not able to be fully closed for events unless provided explicit approval by the University. Events may take place between the hours of 10am and 10pm.
Setups and AV
Event organizers are responsible for setting up the space for their event and returning it to the way they found it prior to leaving. AV and event furniture is not available through Event Management in this location. Event organizers may contract with event rental companies, Facilities Management (request through FM portal), or bring their own equipment so long as it complies with University policies around fire safety and egress.
There is no parking at South Lawn. Use Garrett Ally behind Garrett Hall for immediate loading and unloading only. If parking vehicles after loading/unloading, event organizers and their guests must utilize standard employee/student lots with appropriate parking permit and/or guest lots paying any fees required to Parking and Transportation. Cars parked in loading/unloading areas are subject to ticketing and tow at the owner’s expense.
- Large 209′ x 204′ grass lawn space located at the south end of UVA’s historic lawn. The space can accommodate events and programs for up to 500 people, as well as serve as a location for CIO/Departmental promotion.
- South Lawn does not have restrooms/water fountains - the closest public restrooms are located inside Old Cabell Hall.
Available Setups & Capacities
- Total Empty Capacity: 500
Available Audio-Visual Equipment (must request EMS)
Space Specific Policies
- All equipment must be brought into this location by the event organizer. Tables and chairs are not provided by Event Management.
- The South Lawn includes only the grassy area of the lower terrace. Sidewalks are not to be obstructed. For use of Old Cabell steps, contact the Music Department at [email protected].
- Amplified sound requires prior approval - utilize this form to request
- No displays may be placed on the Lawn with the exception of small wire flags or small rocks/stones. One display per day is permitted and may not be higher than two (2) feet.
- No restrictions on catering